Resources For Parents
The New Providence Memorial Library will be closed to the public until further notice with all programming suspended through April 30. These dates may be reevaluated as the season progresses.
While we are closed, fines and holds will be suspended. You may continue to return books through the book drops, and select any donated books from carts placed outside both entrances from the AfterWords bookstore at no charge.
During the closure, patrons can avail themselves of online resources including:
- Overdrive for ebooks and audiobooks
- Kanopy for independent films and documentaries
- Hoopla for ebooks, audiobooks, movies, TV series, music & comics
- TeenBookCloud for e-books for students in grades 7-12
- Tumblebooks with read-along picture books, chapter books, National Geographic videos, non-fiction books & graphic novels for kids
- Flipster with a selection of magazines that can be read online
- Rosetta Stone for learning a new language
- Lynda with more than 3,000 online courses in a wide variety of subjects
Temporary FREE access has been given to these educational resources:
- ABCmouse- Educational games, books, puzzles and songs for kids & toddlers. Free for 30 days
- Audible (Kids)- While schools are closed, all children's titles are free to stream. Stream to your desktop, laptop, smart phone or tablet
- BrainPOP- Temporary free access while schools are closed to educational content for students in K-12
- Khan Academy- Expert created content and resources in every subject for students in K-12. Free while schools are closed
- Knowbuddy- Free access to a variety of nonfiction e-book titles for children
- JLG @ Home- Free and unlimited access to e-books
- TumbleMath- Unlimited and unrestricted access to this collection of math picture books until August 31, 2020
Other free resources:
- Children's Authors Read Alouds & Activities- A list of over 50 virtual author activities
- CAMathories- Animated math stories and games
- Girls Who Code at Home- Download CS educational activities for free and learn to code at home!
- Highlights Kids- Read, play games, conduct cool science experiments and much more!
- Kate Messner- Read, Wonder & Learn- A collection of resources curated by children's book author Kate Messner including links to read-alouds, drawing/writing mini lessons and more. New resources added daily
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems- Join author/illustrator Mo Willems in his studio everyday at 1 pm for some doodling fun
- Playtime Playlist- A comprehensive list of family friendly music for children
- Scholastic Learn at Home- 20+ days of exciting articles, videos, fun learning challenges and other exciting at home learning experiences
- Storyline Online- Listen to some of your favorite stories read to you by movie stars
- Storytime From Space- Listen and watch astronauts on the Space Station reading stories and conducting science experiments