New Providence Memorial Library is lending physical materials. Contactless pickup of holds is available in the lobby:
How Contactless Pickup Works
Use our online catalog and place a hold on the items you want. When you click "place hold" in the catalog, you'll be prompted to log in. Log in with your library card barcode and PIN. Your PIN number is the last four digits of your library card. Holds are limited to a maximum of ten per library card.
Don't have Internet? Call the library at (908) 665-0311 to place up to 5 holds over the phone. You'll need a New Providence card, or a card you've used here before that has not expired in our system (out of town cards expire 12 months after registration). New Providence residents may apply for a library card online.
Holds will be filled in the order they were received. Wait time will depend on the volume of requests the library is experiencing, as well as the length of the waiting list for an item.
When an item you've placed a hold on is ready to be picked up, you will receive an email notification or a phone call for that item.
You have three business days to pick up your item(s) from the library. After three days, the book will go back on the shelf, or to the next patron on hold for the item.
When You Go to Pick Up Your Materials
- Once you've received a phone call or email notifying you that your item is ready for pickup:
- Walk up to the front entrance of the library. Pickup hours are listed at the top of this page.
- If someone is already in the lobby, please wait outside 6 feet back on a green X on the sidewalk.
- Weather permitting, the front doors will be propped open. Otherwise, open the front door.
- Look for the item or bag with your name on it. Items are in alphabetical order by last name.
- Take your item or bag and go. Your items will be checked out to you ahead of time. A receipt with the due date will be inside.
- If you need to speak with staff, call the library on your cell phone at (908) 665-0311.
You may print to the library printer from any computer or device that is connected to the Internet. Limit of five black and white pages/day and one color page/day.
Your prints will be placed in a bag, or wrapped in paper, with your name. The bags on the table in the front lobby are in alphabetical order by last name.
Pay for your prints by dropping exact change in the box on the table. Prints cost $0.20 per page for black and white and $0.50 per page for color.
Books and other items may be returned to the book drops located on either side of the library's main entrance.
If people are lined up on the sidewalk, please use the book drop on the left and maintain a distance of 6 feet from others.
Fines began to accrue on all overdue items starting June 30. To pay a fine, please place the exact amount in an envelope with your name and card number on it inside the wooden box on the table in the lobby.
Three days after your item has been returned, it will be checked in. We are quarantining returned items for three days, following American Library Association guidelines. The check-in will be backdated by three days, so you will not be fined for the quarantine.