New Providence Memorial Library is lending physical materials. Expanded Public Browsing is available as of July 6 inside the building and Contactless Pickup of holds are available:
Expanded Public Browsing
Welcome back inside the library! We've rearranged our space with public health in mind.
Stacks in the adult area are now open for patrons to browse. Open areas now include:
- adult fiction
- large print
- YA stacks
Areas that are still closed include:
- Children's Room
- Gallery seating area
- Tables & Chairs
- Meeting Rooms
The browsing areas to the left of the circulation desk remain open. There are sections designated for children's, teen, and adult materials. If you are looking for something specific that is not on display in these areas, please ask at the front circulation desk for help.
Browsing area includes:
- New adult material and book club books.
- New children's material and selected displays.
- Small selection of bookstore books.
- Small family groups allowed inside for in-person browsing.
- No lingering, restrooms, tables or chairs.
- Children's Room and Meeting Rooms remain closed.
- Public Computers open for 45-min shifts. No appointment necessary. Only 3 computers available.
- Contactless Pickup is available inside the library, just beyond the foyer.
How Contactless Pickup Works
Use our online catalog and place a hold on the items you want. When you click "place hold" in the catalog, you'll be prompted to log in. Log in with your library card barcode and PIN. Your PIN number is the last four digits of your library card. Holds are limited to a maximum of ten per library card.
Don't have Internet? Call the library at (908) 665-0311 to place up to 5 holds over the phone. You'll need a New Providence card, or a card you've used here before that has not expired in our system (out of town cards expire 12 months after registration). New Providence residents may apply for a library card online.
Holds will be filled in the order they were received. Wait time will depend on the volume of requests the library is experiencing, as well as the length of the waiting list for an item.
When an item you've placed a hold on is ready to be picked up, you will receive an email notification or a phone call for that item.
You have three business days to pick up your item(s) from the library. After three days, the book will go back on the shelf, or to the next patron on hold for the item.
When You Go to Pick Up Your Materials
- Go through the glass foyer and just beyond, inside the library, you will see a table and bookcases.
- Look for the item or bag with your name on it. Items are in alphabetical order by last name.
- Take your item or bag and go. Your items will be checked out to you ahead of time. A receipt with the due date will be inside.
You may print to the library printer from any computer or device that is connected to the Internet. Limit of five black and white pages/day and one color page/day.
Pay for your prints at the front desk. Prints cost $0.20 per page for black and white and $0.50 per page for color.