To request an interlibrary loan, search for the item you would like in the catalog and place a hold. The item you placed on hold will be delivered to New Providence and you will receive a notification when it arrives.
If the item you would like does not appear in the search results, scroll to the bottom of the search result page and click Search JerseyCat:
Librarians are happy to place a JerseyCat request on your behalf. If you wish to place the JerseyCat request yourself, you will need to log in to JerseyCat with your library card barcode number and PIN (last 4 digits of your barcode) before requesting the item.
If it's a new item, you may suggest it for purchase for the New Providence library collection.
Interlibrary loan is available for New Providence residents only. Nonresidents may request interlibrary loans by calling or emailing their hometown library.
Borrowing at Other Libraries
You may use your New Providence library card in person at many libraries in New Jersey, listed below.
- Take your library card and photo ID with you.
- Check the expiration date on your card. If expired, it must be renewed at NPML before visiting the other library.
- Pay NPML fines and return overdue books to NPML before visiting the other library.
- Borrowing restrictions may apply at the other library.
- If the library is not part of MAIN Library Alliance, you will need to return borrowed items to that library, not NPML.
- Call ahead to see if they have the item you are interested in.
All libraries in Union County:
These libraries in Somerset County:
All libraries in Morris County:
Jefferson Township/ Oak Ridge
Kemmerer/ New Vernon/ Harding
Mendham Township/ Brookside
Morris County Library
Washington Township/ Long Valley
All libraries in Hunterdon County:
Readington/ Whitehouse Station
These libraries in Middlesex & Monmouth Counties: